Autumn has arrived, with cool weather, changing leaves, and cloudy skies that make it perfect for snuggling up indoors. Decorating any part of your home for fall is all about creating a space that’s comfortable, welcoming, and warm, and that’s especially true of bedrooms. Whether you’re readying a guest room or updating your master suite, you can give your bedroom the autumn refresh it deserves with these eight cozy bedroom decorating ideas.
- Comfy in an Autumn Palette. Classic autumn tones take on a more subtle, muted quality with pale shades of rusty orange, buttercup yellow, vanilla, oatmeal, and chestnut. Incorporate a variety of autumnal tones to create a layered look inspired by the falling leaves. Shades of burgundy, chocolate, or burnt orange help to round off the look.
- Warm Up with Throw Blankets. Keep your bedroom comfy and warm with a variety of seasonal throw blankets. Hefty throws made from faux-fur are excellent on extra-cold evenings, while thinner options made from cotton or polyester provide a touch of warmth without making you too hot. Knit throws and quilts can also lend plenty of autumn style to your bedroom.
- Add Plush Pillows. Nothing helps to create a soft, welcoming environment like plush accent and throw pillows. Whether you place them on your bed, in an armchair, or around the floor, throw pillows incorporate style and comfort into your space. Pillows that feature earthy colors and plush textures will complement your autumn decor and give your space that warm and snuggly feeling.
- Hang a Wreath. Fall wreaths bring all the charm of the autumn season indoors, often incorporating traditional fall staples like colorful leaves and berries. Wreaths make beautiful statement pieces when hung on a bedroom wall. You can even arrange a few of them artfully over your headboard for some added autumn flavor.
- Choose Stylish Storage. Storage isn’t the first thing most people think about when it comes to preparing your bedroom for fall, but the right storage can lend some order to your seasonal bedroom. Autumn storage draws its inspiration from harvest markets and cozy cottages. Woven baskets and wooden crates and chests are beautiful complements to a room while keeping soft goods like throw blankets and pillows neatly tucked away.
- Soften the Space with Rugs. Whether your bedroom has hard flooring or not, rugs lend stylish flare to your bedroom. A beautiful area rug that features autumn colors or patterns will add visual interest and exceptional comfort to your room. More subdued area rugs will help ground the space, while rugs with patterns and details are great for increasing depth and texture.
- Set the Mood with Candles. Few things are more conducive to a cozy atmosphere than glowing candles on display. Hefty pillar candles add striking character while tiny tealights spread throughout the room provide a softer ambiance. Candle-holders and candelabras help keep things neat and prevent wax from building up on surfaces.
- Place Some Pumpkins. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to bring the fall season into your space is by incorporating pumpkins and pumpkin-style decor. Smaller pumpkins provide pleasant personality, and can be arranged throughout the room as accents, while large pumpkins work well on their own. Though it’s fun to carve pumpkins for the Halloween season, it’s not a great idea to display carved pumpkins indoors.