Preparing wine in steel barrels is the most preferred method opted by winemakers all over the world. It has some advantages over the containers made of other materials like wood. This article explains the advantages of stainless steel barrels.
Wine making is a time-consuming process. It may take years to complete making wine right from selecting the grapes to bottling and packaging the prepared wine. Since the quality of the wine can’t be compromised, we need proper equipment to store it. Barrels made of stainless steel are preferred by most winemakers around the world. It is also considered as the apt way for storing and shipping good quality wine. Some of the advantages of stainless steel wine barrels are discussed below.
* Durability: Oak barrels generally last for about three to five years, though there are barrels which last longer. The flavor of the wine in oak barrels decreases each time the wine is prepared. This does not happen in barrels made of steel. Steel wine barrels last for decades without changing the taste of the wine. To impart the “oakiness” to wine, a few chunks or planks of oak can be added. They also are easy to clean and handle. Steel barrels have a classy look when compared to the other barrels.
* Low Cost: Steel wine barrels are an affordable choice to make great wine. Their initial cost can be recovered long before they have to be replaced.
* Prevents Oxidation: If the wine is prepared in wooden barrels, it is possible that the barrels may leave head space for air which can lead to oxidation, spoiling the flavor of the wine. This does not happen in the case of barrels made of stainless steel. Since the lids would be placed tight, it prevents oxidation and thus improves the quality of the wine.
* Neutral in Flavor: There is no influence on the taste of wine when it is prepared in steel barrels. This encourages winemakers to experiment with different flavors each time they prepare it. Steel barrels provide temperature-controlled conditions for the prefect blending of wine.
* Environment-Friendly: Using stainless steel barrels is also an environment-friendly method of storing wine. Instead of finding their way into a landfill as will used oak barrels, the metal from the stainless steel wine barrels eventually can be recycled.
* Better Wine: For those who don’t prefer the “oakiness” in wine, steel barrels is the best choice to prepare great wine. The wine ferments well in these containers and turns brighter and better in its taste when compared to the wine prepared in oak containers.
* Shipping Purposes: Wine needs extra care even when it is being packaged and shipped to different locations. It is often considered a better choice to use stainless steel barrels for packaging wine as they are completely sealed and hence there’s no possibility of any leakage of the liquid.